Monday, September 3, 2007

School Days...

The kids start school tomorrow. Even though I have actually started back (and had three days of classes) it still somehow feels like summer. I am NOT ready for what will surely be tomorrow mornings disaster! Even before diabetes we were a bit of an AM nightmare. I am the main problem (never ready on time), but the kids like to sleep in, too. I'm trying to turn over a new, more organized, leaf, but I can't make any promises.

Still, we are ready to give it our best go- clothes have been bought, tried on, and organized by outfit, book bags are packed, and I am printing out the photos TJ needs to share tomorrow.

Of course, add to the morning mess my mounting anxiety about TJ and school. Last week we met with the first grade teacher, who has not convinced Tom or I that she will be "on" the whole diabetes thing. She asked us to send in an index card with the times he needs to eat so she can tape it to the desk. Um...Ok?? Do they not have index cards at NFE? Can she not make her own?? (I know she's busy, but I'm a teacher, too - she's not THAT busy!). Does she realize that TJ can't tell time? She also said - at least five times - that she and Thomas would "eat our ways through the day." Even after I gave her his meal plan stuff. UGH! Clueless!!! When I explained that if they go out for extra activities she jumped right on the "oh yes, extra recess" bandwagon (UGH again!) but couldn't seem to understand how a cup of gatorade was different than WATERED DOWN gatorade. And how drinking it inside was not the same as taking it outside with him. Time for that 504!

The nurse is a blessing, though, so I'm sure it will be fine. I read so many blogs and comments of parents who are concerned about the nursing at their child's school. JH is amazing - thank God. She calls for everything even slightly out of the norm, but half the time I am thinking "well, what do YOU think I should do?". Thank goodness for simple gifts!

Off to bed - time to prepare for the whirlwind of getting out the door.

No comments: