Saturday, August 1, 2009

30 Days

Many years, the coming on of August causes me to panic. In so many ways I have yet to settle into a summer routine, yet all of a sudden the end is in sight. This summer - one filled with unpredictable weather, a busy work schedule, and a two-week stay away from home - I find myself entering August with a sinking feeling that summer will end and I will not have lived it.

But, in reality, summer is only peaking - there are many days left to be enjoyed. In order to live them just a little more deliberately, and to share them with my children, I challenged each of us to keep a journal for each day in August. The children were each treated to new spiral notebooks and markers to help encourage them and each dutifully filled the first page with color, prose, and drawings detailing our first day of actual away-at-a-beach-house vacation. I promised them I would blog each day this month.

Although the first half of summer has passed by in a (non-documented) flash, the images on my camera tell tales of long, fun-filled days. Rope swings, boat rides, beach excursions. Fun, any way you remember it.

No comments: